Friday, June 26, 2009

Garden Fresh

In my floral design class we talked a little bit about preparing flowers fresh from your garden. Using these principles, I went out early yesterday morning and picked some fresh roses for a simple cube design. To kill the aphids, I filled a sink with warm soapy water and immersed the flower heads. I then cut the stems and placed them in flower food:



Flower food is important because it contains sugar, citric acid, and a biocide which all help to feed the plant and keep the water clean from harmful bacteria. In case you don't have any pre-made flower food, you can always use a little bit of listerine or lemon lime soda as a substitute.

Once you have all your roses, you can arrange and enjoy. One great thing about home grown roses is that they are much more fragrant than the roses you purchase from a store. I was absolutely intoxicated by this arrangement, even though it didn't last near as long.



No comments: