Saturday, June 27, 2009

Edible Flowers

While I was in my floral design class, I watched my teacher put together an arrangement with flowers, floral foam, and food. I was really excited to try this on my own, however, I don't have many occasions that would really call for it. So as soon as I saw veggie tray sign ups for my work party, I jumped on the idea and began planning. And the result was:


This piece of art required very little work and only:
  • one head of red cabbage
  • serving platter (I borrowed a nice porcelain one from my sister, chances are you wont be seeing it, so you don't have to worry too much about appearance)
  • dip dish (I used a neat brown glass bowl I found in my house)
  • various chopped vegetables/fruit of your choosing
  • flowers (I cut some from the BYU gardens and after washing them in warm water I refrigerated them up until I arranged them. This helps for freshness and to kill any small bugs)
Once you have everything, tear off cabbage leaves and try to keep them intact as much as possible as these will be the basis of your veggie holders and to help separate flowers from the food itself. Next place your dip bowl, leaves, and vegetables onto the tray in whatever arrangement you like. Finally, cut the stems on your flowers and arrange them between cabbage and plate. Voila, you have a masterpiece.

1 comment:

Rowboat said...

so did you dip the flowers in the ranchy?