Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ears are ringing

I have always had an avid love of earrings and I was reminded of this the other day when looking through my earring cemetery. What, you ask, is an earring cemetery? Throughout the course of my life I have gone through a lot of earrings, which usually get lost. Except, like socks, you rarely lose a pair, instead you will lose one earring and just have to find a new match. It is a graveyard of the missing, mismatched, and broken:

I also have an interesting philosophy on matching, I have never been too observant on the rule that in order to match you need to have two identical items. Instead, in socks and earrings, I have always held the belief that you match things with the most similar item you have. I.e. if you have two socks that are similar material and design (they are both solid colored) and sometimes even if they are the same cut, then they obviously match. Others feel this is a little off, but in the end, I have more character in my socks and their socks go completely unnoticed.

With earrings I have a similar matching technique and I have no qualms modifying my earrings, removing backs, re-attaching backs or switching backs from earring to earring. This is another reason why I keep all of my old earrings.

I also like my earrings because all of them have a story. I have a green pair from Croatia, a yellow pair from San Jose California, a mismatched white pair that I found on the side walk, a pair from DI that are constantly debated as being either eggplants, aliens, or weird Christmas decorations and many more. Some of my more favorite earrings recently have been:



2 comments:

Rowboat said...

i LOVE your earring collection. it inspires me. any good ideas of what kind of jewelry i can wear for my wedding?

Unknown said...

I am not really sure, it depends on other things, i.e. your dress, what look you are going for, where/when you intend on wearing it, if you want it in your pictures. Generally though, simple and elegant are always classy.