Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Picture Says a Thousand Words


I noticed that lately all I post are pictures, which is okay with me, because I assume that a picture says a thousand words and how could I possibly explain so much without my hands falling off? Of course, on the other hand, a picture says a thousand and you assume the other million, because what really took place behind the picture or the lighting and the background and the participants are all that you see.

This leads me to a tangent with my friend, who for privacy sake I will change her name to.. Carbin. One day I went over to visit my friend Carbin while we lived in a small apartment complex I like to call the "Fish Bowl" because there were these terribly large windows in the living room and kitchen that faced all the other apartments so that you could almost always tell what drama was happening with your neighbors.

As I walk in I hear a screech and the last remaining light in turns off.

Carbin: Who is there?
Me: Just me, what are you up to?
Carbin: Do you want to help me out with something?

At that statement the light was turned back on and I saw that the living room had been barricaded with couch cushions and draped with blankets to block out all light sources as the blinds has been squeezed tighter than Hillary Clinton's bum and sitting in the middle of the floor was Carbin wearing nothing by a white sheet and holding part of a tree root.

Carbin, who was generally known for her extreme modesty, quickly explained that she needed to take a picture of her holding this root from just the right angle and with just the right lighting in order for her to paint it later on. Needless to say, for the next two hours we went through every position imaginable in order to get just the right setting. Also needless to say, it never happened and eventually her room mates came home and she went scurrying into her room to dress and pretend like nothing had ever happened.

One day I would like to take that perfect shot.

No comments: